Like any textile, residential or commercial carpets require proper care to maintain their original beauty. There are three main things that you can do to maintain your carpets:
1- vacuum regularly,
2- clean spills immediately, and
3- have your carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year.
What to do when a spill happens on your carpet ...
- Take up as much of the spill as possible using a towel.
- Gently press a clean cloth into the spill to remove as much moisture as possible. Don't scrub! Scrubbing can damage the fiber and set the stain.
- Add warm water, and blot the stain until color stops transferring to the cloth.
- If the stain persists, make a detergent solution by adding 1/4 tsp of dishwashing liquid to 1 cup of warm water.
- Apply the solution to the spill and let sit for 5 minutes, and then rinse with warm water. Repeat until all the solution is removed.
- Place paper towel on the spill to absorb the liquid. Weigh down the towels and let sit overnight.
- Once the carpet is dry, vacuum to restore the texture.
- If the stain persists, repeat step 3 through 7.